Getting Married or Entering into a Registered Partnership
In the Netherlands, there is no longer a difference between marriage and a registered partnership. In a registered partnership, saying "I do" is not mandatory, but in a marriage ceremony, it is required. The costs and procedures are exactly the same.
A registered partnership may not be recognized in all countries, while a marriage is recognized worldwide.
Are you getting married or entering into a registered partnership? Then you should inform the municipality where the ceremony will take place. You can reserve a date from one year before the wedding or partnership date.
What are the option for the ceremony?
- We will schedule one of our marriage officers for your wedding or partnership. You cannot specify a preference.
- There is no personal speech from the civil registrar.
- The ceremony lasts a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Maximum of 12 people, including the couple.
- Available on Mondays and Tuesdays between 09:00 and 11:00.
- This ceremony is available from Monday to Sunday in the town hall's wedding hall or at another official wedding location.
- You can specify a preference for the extraordinary civil registrar.
- The ceremony lasts for 1 hour.
- The registrar will contact you in advance to discuss your preferences and speech.
- In the town hall of Diemen, a maximum of 80 people can be present (including the couple, etc.).
Do you have a preference for a certain marriage officer?
Indicate your preference when notifying us. The chosen marriage officer is just a preference and does not guarantee availability. You can also provide a 2nd or 3rd preference.
Do you want a different marriage officer than the ones listed? This is only possible if this person is sworn in by the court and actively works as a marriage officer in another municipality. They will be appointed for 1 day.
In your notification, you indicate your choice for a personal marriage officer. You will receive a form via email that your marriage officer will fill in and return. The request must be submitted to us at least 2 months before the wedding or partnership date. There are additional costs associated with bringing your own marriage officer.
For a marriage/partnership, a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 adults must be present as witnesses. You can choose who they are. You can also use witnesses provided by the municipality, but then you have to pay additional costs.
Official Wedding Locations in Diemen:
- Town Hall
- Het Wapen van Diemen
- House of Bird
- Paviljoen Puur
- Schuilkerk de Hoop
In addition to municipal fees, you will also need to cover the costs of the wedding location. You should contact the chosen wedding location directly.
Contact Us in Advance
When reviewing your notification, it may sometimes be necessary to provide additional information. Especially if you were born or have lived abroad, do not have Dutch nationality, or have been divorced abroad. In such cases, please contact us 6 to 12 months before your wedding or partnership at phone number 0031 20 314 4888. This will allow us to advise you on time.