Moving abroad

Are you moving abroad? You report this to the local authorities if you will be residing in another country for longer than 8 months during a period of 1 year.

You report your relocation to another country to the local authorities 5 days before, at the latest. You must make a notification if you will be residing in another country for longer than 8 months, during a period of 1 year. These 8 months are not necessarily consecutive months. Also, if you keep your house in the Netherlands, you must report the relocation to the local authorities.

If you reside abroad fewer than 8 months, and you return to the same home address, you can report your relocation, but it is not required.

The local authorities will communicate your relocation to the bodies affiliated with the personal records database (BRP). These are, for instance, the tax authorities and pension funds.

Logo DigiDReport emigration

Are you unable to log in? Then you can make an appointment for your declaration at the town hall.


If every person at the same address is moving abroad, you can make the notification in writing. This can be done as follows:

  • You can do this yourself, if you are above the age of 16 years old
  • By parent, guardian or carer for minor children
  • Cohabiting spouses / registered partners
  • Cohabiting parents and adult children

Does anyone stay behind at your current address in the Netherlands? Then the persons moving abroad must report in person, at the local authorities. This also applies to any minors. A declaration of departure by a proxy is not possible.


Communicating relocation is free of charge. Do you need a certificate of deregistration? This will involve costs.


This is how you communicate your move to another country:

You make the notification within 5 days before you leave.

Does everyone at your address also move abroad?

  • You can communicate your notification to the local authorities in writing.
  • You send a copy of your valid proof of identity along.

Does anyone remain at your current address?

  • You visit the local authorities
  • You bring your valid proof of identity.

You communicate:

  • In which country you will be residing
  • Your first address (with town name)
  • The date on which you will be moving

If you fail to report your relocation to another country, the local authorities may impose a fine upon you.

Do you need a certificate of deregistration? Request this from an RNI-municipality. These municipalities are: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle.